If you're planning a visit to Walmer, you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Enjoy the Walmer Castle and Gardens – Walmer Castle and Gardens is a popular attraction in Kent, located less than a mile from Walmer. This stunning property, originally built in the 16th century, is now owned by English Heritage and offers visitors the chance to explore its rich history and stunning gardens.
- Take a Tour of Walmer's Historic Sites – Walmer is home to a variety of historic sites, including the Church of St. Mary, a 13th century Grade I listed building, and the Walmer Castle and Gardens. Take a guided tour of these sites or explore the area at your own pace.
- Shop at Walmer's High Street – The High Street in Walmer is a great place to shop for local produce, clothing, antiques, gifts and much more. Don't forget to check out the Walmer Castle Shopping Centre while you're there!
- Visit Deal Castle – Just a short drive away from Walmer is Deal Castle, an impressive Tudor-style fortress built by King Henry VIII in 1539. Visitors can take a tour of the castle and learn about its history and architecture.
- Spend the Day at Walmer Beach – Walmer Beach is a great spot for a day out, with miles of golden sand and plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained. Enjoy beach sports, have a picnic, or just relax and soak up the sun.
- Explore the Local Wildlife – Walmer is home to a variety of wildlife, from birds and small mammals to amphibians and reptiles. Take a walk around the area and see what you can spot.
- Visit the Walmer Lifeboat Station – The Walmer Lifeboat Station is one of the oldest lifeboat stations in the country and has been in operation since 1887. Visitors can take a tour of the station and learn about its history and the work of the lifeboat crews.
- Experience the Walmer Music Festival – The Walmer Music Festival is held annually and is a great way to experience local music and culture. The festival features a variety of local and international acts and offers something for everyone.
- Visit Deal and Walmer Museum – This museum offers visitors the chance to learn about the history of the area, from the Iron Age to the present day. It features a variety of exhibits and displays, as well as a café and gift shop.
- Have Fun at Walmer Recreation Ground – The Walmer Recreation Ground is a great place to have fun and get active, with tennis courts, a bowling green, and a variety of playgrounds and play equipment.
- Take a Tour of Walmer Castle Gardens – The Walmer Castle Gardens are a beautiful and tranquil spot, with a variety of plants and flowers, and a picturesque pond. Visitors can take a guided tour of the gardens or explore them at their own pace.
- Enjoy the Walmer Food Festival – The Walmer Food Festival is held every year in August and is a great way to sample some of the area's local produce. There are a variety of stalls selling a range of food and drink, and plenty of entertainment for the whole family.
- Visit Walmer's Local Pubs – Walmer is home to a number of traditional pubs, each with their own unique atmosphere and character. Spend an evening enjoying a drink and a bite to eat, and socialising with the locals.
- Explore the Walmer Countryside – Take a walk or bike ride around the beautiful Kent countryside and explore the area's rolling hills, woodlands and rivers. Don't forget to take your camera and snap some pictures of this picturesque landscape.
- Enjoy the Walmer Summer Fete – The Walmer Summer Fete is an annual event that takes place in the summer months. Visitors can enjoy a range of activities, from market stalls to live music, as well as a variety of food and drink.
There are many things to see and do near Walmer. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!