If you're planning a visit to Samphire Hoe, you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Explore the White Cliffs – Samphire Hoe is situated between Dover and Folkestone, offering spectacular views of the famous white cliffs. Take a stroll along the coast and enjoy the stunning chalk cliffs and the beaches below.
- Visit the Samphire Hoe Visitor Centre – The visitor centre offers a wealth of information about the local area, including the history, wildlife and geology of the surrounding landscape. Inside there is a café, children's play area, and a shop with souvenirs and gifts.
- Climb the Shakespeare Cliff – Climb to the top of the chalk cliff and take in the panoramic views of the English Channel. Follow the footpaths down to the beach and explore the hidden coves and sea caves.
- Go Bird Watching – The cliffs are a haven for a large variety of bird species, including gulls, kestrels, peregrines, and the rare and elusive red-throated diver. Take a pair of binoculars and spot them from the cliffs.
- Visit the Dover Castle – This ancient castle offers a fascinating insight into the history of the area. Explore the tunnels and rooms, and take in the stunning views of the English Channel.
- Explore the Harbour Arm – The Harbour Arm is a vibrant, bustling area with plenty of cafes, restaurants, and shops. Take a stroll along the pier, or catch a boat to France for a day trip.
- Visit the South Foreland Lighthouse – This lighthouse is the oldest operational lighthouse in England and is a great spot to take in the views of the coast.
- Join a Guided Walk – There are plenty of guided walks available to explore the local area, from the Dover Castle to the South Foreland Lighthouse. Learn more about the history, wildlife and culture of the area.
- Take a Boat Trip – Take a boat trip around the Dover Harbour area and spot a variety of marine life, including seals and dolphins.
- Enjoy a Picnic – Pack a picnic and find a spot along the coast to enjoy a bite to eat with a view.
- Visit the Dover Museum – This museum houses a wealth of artefacts and exhibits charting the history of the town.
- Explore the Local Nature Reserves – There are several nature reserves in the area, such as the Langdon Cliffs and the South Foreland Nature Reserve. Take a hike and enjoy the stunning wildlife and flora.
- Sample the Local Cuisine – There are plenty of local eateries offering a range of traditional dishes from fish and chips to seafood.
- Go Cycling – Follow the cycling routes along the coast and take in the views of the English Channel.
- Go Shopping – Browse the shops and boutiques in the town centre and take home a souvenir or two.
There are many things to see and do near Samphire Hoe. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!