If you're planning a visit to Chatham (Lock Approaches), you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Explore the Historic Dockyard Chatham – Situated in the heart of the Medway Towns, the Historic Dockyard Chatham offers a unique insight into the history of the Royal Navy. From interactive galleries and hands-on activities, to guided tours, special exhibitions and events, you can explore the rich maritime history of the area.
- Visit Upnor Castle – Built in the 16th century to protect the Royal Navy's dockyard, Upnor Castle is a fascinating piece of history. The castle is now open to the public, offering tours, talks and events throughout the year.
- Take a River Cruise – Take a sightseeing cruise on the River Medway and enjoy the beautiful scenery as you sail past historic castles, churches and other landmarks. There are many different trip options available, ranging from short cruises to full-day excursions.
- Boat Trip to Southend – Take a boat trip to Southend-on-Sea and enjoy the beautiful beaches, promenade and pier. There are also plenty of attractions to explore, including a Sea Life Centre, amusement park, arcades and more.
- Visit Rochester Cathedral – Located in the heart of Rochester, the beautiful 12th century Rochester Cathedral is well worth a visit. Explore the labyrinth of tombs and monuments, admire the stunning stained glass windows and take in the breathtaking architecture.
- Visit the Dickens Museum – Step back in time at the Charles Dickens Museum in Rochester. Take a tour and learn more about the life and works of the great author, and explore the house where he wrote some of his most famous works.
- Explore the Towering White Cliffs of Dover – Just a short drive away from Chatham, the iconic White Cliffs of Dover offer some of the most spectacular views in England. Take some time to explore the surrounding area and admire the breathtaking views of the English Channel and coastline.
- Take a Walk Along the North Downs Way – The North Downs Way is a long-distance footpath that stretches across the north of Kent. Take a walk along the path and enjoy the beautiful scenery, as well as the historic churches, pubs, castles and more.
- Visit Leeds Castle – Just a short drive away from Chatham, Leeds Castle is a stunning castle set on an island in the middle of a lake. Take a tour of the castle, explore the grounds and gardens, and enjoy a spot of shopping in the gift shop.
- Enjoy a Day at the Beach – Take a trip to the seaside and enjoy a day at the beach in Margate or Ramsgate. Enjoy a stroll along the pier, try your luck at the amusement arcades and tuck into some traditional fish and chips.
- Take a Trip to Canterbury – Canterbury is a beautiful city steeped in history. Take a stroll around the cobbled streets, visit the impressive Gothic cathedral, and explore the many museums, galleries and attractions.
- Explore the Greenwich Maritime Museum – Located in the heart of Greenwich, the Maritime Museum offers a fascinating look at the history of the Royal Navy. From interactive displays and exhibitions to guided tours and special events, there's plenty to explore.
- Take a Trip to Bluewater Shopping Centre – Bluewater Shopping Centre is one of the largest in Europe, offering a huge selection of shops, eateries and entertainment. Take a day out and explore the centre, which offers the perfect mix of high street and designer brands.
- Enjoy the Great Outdoors – Take a walk in the countryside and enjoy the stunning scenery of the Kent Downs. Explore the area's many nature reserves and parks, and enjoy some of the best views in the county.
- Visit the Canterbury Roman Museum – Situated in the heart of Canterbury, the Canterbury Roman Museum offers a unique insight into the city's Roman past. Explore the museum's galleries, interactive displays and historic artefacts, and learn more about the city's fascinating history.
There are many things to see and do near Chatham (Lock Approaches). Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!