If you're planning a visit to Folkestone, you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Bowling – Located in the heart of Folkestone, the town's bowling alley provides plenty of fun for all ages. With a range of bowling lanes, a pool table and arcade games, it's the perfect spot to spend an afternoon.
- Hiking – Explore the stunning coastal scenery of Kent on foot. Just outside of Folkestone are plenty of trails that wind their way through countryside, woodlands and along the gorgeous coastline.
- Shopping – The town centre of Folkestone is home to a variety of shops, from high street favourites to independent retailers. There's something for everyone here, so it's the perfect place to pick up a souvenir or two.
- Beaches – Folkestone is surrounded by stunning seaside spots, perfect for a day of sunbathing or a romantic stroll. Hythe Bay and Botany Bay are great spots to visit, while sunny Sandgate is a popular local beach.
- Walks – Take a stroll around Folkestone's historic harbour, or take a leisurely stroll along the promenade. There are plenty of scenic walks to choose from, so you're sure to find one to suit your mood.
- Golf – Spend the day on the green at the local golf club. With an 18-hole course and plenty of picturesque views, it's the perfect spot to practice your swing.
- Museums – Learn about the history of Folkestone at the town's many museums. The award-winning Folkestone Museum & Art Gallery is a must-see, while the Cinque Ports Museum is a great spot for those interested in maritime history.
- Eating Out – Folkestone is home to plenty of restaurants, cafes and pubs. From traditional British favourites to multicultural cuisine, there's something to suit all tastes.
- Castles – Visit the 12th century Dover Castle, just a short drive away. Take a guided tour of the castle, explore the secret wartime tunnels or just enjoy the stunning views from the castle's keep.
- Zoos – Spend the day at Port Lympne Wild Animal Park, where you can meet a range of animals, from lions to tigers. Or, visit Howletts Wild Animal Park, where you can learn about conservation and get close to a variety of animals.
- Sports – Whether you're an avid fan or just looking to have a bit of fun, there's something for everyone at the local sports centre. With a wide range of activities, from football to archery, you're sure to find something to do.
- Gardens – Take a stroll through the beautiful gardens of Eastwell Manor, or explore the tranquil grounds of Sissinghurst Castle. Both offer family-friendly attractions and stunning views.
- Pubs – Enjoy the local pubs in the area, which offer a traditional atmosphere, great food and drink, and plenty of live music. The Duke of York is a popular choice, with live music nights and a wide range of beers on offer.
- Boat Trips – Take a boat trip and explore the local coastline. From sightseeing cruises to fishing trips, there's something to suit all tastes.
- Events – Head to Folkestone for one of the many events and festivals held throughout the year. From the Folkestone Triennial to the Folkestone Book Festival, there's always something going on.
There are many things to see and do near Folkestone. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!