If you're planning a visit to Margate Beach, you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Bird Watching at Pegwell Bay – The large expanse of sand and marshland at Pegwell Bay makes it a great spot for bird watching. The area is home to a variety of species including geese, ducks, gulls, and even rarer birds like bitterns and avocets.
- Walpole Bay Tidal Pool – This charming tidal pool is filled with sea life and is the perfect spot for a leisurely afternoon swim. There are also plenty of rocks and rock pools to explore.
- Margate Old Town – Take a stroll through the cobbled streets of Margate Old Town and explore the town's unique shops and galleries. There's also a lovely seafront promenade with some fantastic views of the sea.
- Dreamland Margate – Dreamland is a vintage amusement park that has been around since the 1920s. It's a great spot for a fun day out, with a range of rides, games, and even a rollercoaster.
- Turner Contemporary – This modern art gallery is devoted to the works of the famous British artist J.M.W. Turner. It's a great place to explore the artist's works, as well as the works of other notable local and international artists.
- Margate Caves – The Margate Caves are a unique network of underground tunnels and chambers. Take a guided tour to explore the caves and learn about their history.
- Margate Main Sands – Spend the day on the sand at Margate Main Sands, with its long stretch of golden beach. There's also a range of water sports and activities to try out.
- Botany Bay – This stunning beach is located just outside of Margate. It's backed by white chalk cliffs and is a great spot for swimming, walking, and exploring.
- Viking Coastal Trail – Follow the Viking Coastal Trail and explore the stunning coastal scenery of Kent. The route passes through Margate, Broadstairs, and Ramsgate, offering some great views of the coastline.
- Shell Grotto – Take a tour of the mysterious Shell Grotto, which is decorated with over 4.6 million shells. The origins of the grotto are unknown, but some believe it dates back to the Iron Age.
- Ramsgate Maritime Museum – This museum offers a fascinating insight into the maritime history of Ramsgate. There's a range of interactive exhibits, as well as a Victorian steam-powered boat.
- Quex Park – This beautiful country park is home to a range of wildlife, including deer, badgers, and bats. There are also some great walking trails and a range of activities to take part in.
- Margate Harbour Arm – Enjoy a stroll along the Margate Harbour Arm and take in the stunning views of the harbour. There are also some great restaurants and bars to explore.
- Walpole Bay Hotel – This grand Victorian hotel is a great spot for a relaxing afternoon tea. Enjoy the hotel's elegant interior and beautiful views of the sea, as well as a range of delicious cakes.
- Kingsgate Bay – Take a dip in the crystal-clear waters of Kingsgate Bay. The beach is lined with chalk cliffs and is a great spot for exploring the local wildlife.
There are many things to see and do near Margate Beach. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!