If you're planning a visit to Allington Lock, you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Visit the Lockhouse Museum – Located on the banks of the Medway, the Lockhouse Museum is a great place to explore the history of the lock and its surrounding area. Visitors can discover how the lock was built and how it has changed over the years. The museum also contains a range of interesting artifacts and photographs.
- Go Boating – Allington Lock is a popular spot for boat lovers. Visitors can hire boats and explore the Medway or take a tour of the area and its beautiful scenery. There are plenty of opportunities for fishing, as well as other water activities such as canoeing and kayaking.
- Take a Walk – There are several picturesque walks surrounding Allington Lock. Themed walks such as the 'Riverside Walk' and the 'Lockside Walk' offer stunning views of the river and its surrounding countryside.
- Birdwatching – Allington Lock is home to a wide variety of bird species, from ducks and swans to herons and cormorants. Birdwatchers can enjoy the sights and sounds of the wildlife that inhabit the area.
- Visit Allington Castle – Allington Castle is located just a few miles away from Allington Lock and is well worth a visit. The castle dates back to the 12th century and is a great place to explore the history of the area.
- Enjoy a Picnic – With its stunning scenery and tranquil atmosphere, Allington Lock is the perfect place to enjoy a picnic. Visitors can bring their own food and enjoy a leisurely lunch beside the river.
- Explore the Local Wildlife – The area around Allington Lock is home to a wealth of wildlife, including foxes, badgers, and deer. Visitors can take a walk around the area and observe the local wildlife in their natural habitat.
- Enjoy a Pub Meal – Allington Lock is home to several traditional pubs that serve traditional pub grub. Visitors can enjoy a delicious meal with a pint of real ale in a cosy and welcoming atmosphere.
- Visit the Gardens – The area around Allington Lock is home to a number of beautiful gardens, including the National Trust's Allington Lock Gardens. Visitors can enjoy the stunning floral displays and admire the views of the river.
- Go Fishing – Fishing is one of the most popular activities at Allington Lock. Fishermen can choose between fly-fishing or coarse fishing and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of the river.
- Explore the Local Area – Allington Lock is surrounded by numerous interesting attractions and activities, such as the historic Rochester Castle, the historic Rochester Cathedral, and the local markets.
- Visit the National Nature Reserve – The Allington Lock National Nature Reserve is a great place to explore the area's natural environment. Visitors can take a leisurely stroll through the reserve and observe the variety of wildlife that inhabit the area.
- Take a Tour of the Lock – Guided tours of the lock are available for visitors who want to know more about its history and how it works. The tours also offer a chance to take some stunning photographs of the area.
- Go Cycling – Allington Lock is a great place to go cycling. Visitors can enjoy the scenery while exploring the area on two wheels.
- Enjoy a Cream Tea – After a day of exploring the area, visitors can enjoy a delicious cream tea at one of the local cafes. The perfect way to end a day of sightseeing.
There are many things to see and do near Allington Lock. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!