If you're planning a visit to Upnor, you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Visit Upnor Castle – Upnor Castle is a 17th Century fortification located on the northern shore of the River Medway in Kent. Built by Charles I, the castle served as a garrison for the Royal Navy until the 19th century. The castle is open to the public and contains a range of interactive activities, including a guided tour and a museum.
- Explore Rochester Castle – Just a short drive away, Rochester Castle is a medieval fortress dating back to the 11th century. It is one of the best preserved castles in England and is open to the public, with a range of events and activities available.
- Visit the Historic Dockyard – The Historic Dockyard at Chatham is a must-see for any history lover. It is home to a range of historic ships, including HMS Victory, the flagship of Admiral Lord Nelson. The site also offers a range of interactive activities, including a guided tour and a museum.
- Take a River Cruise – Enjoy the stunning views of the River Medway and the Thames Estuary on a river cruise. Boats depart from Upnor Pier and take passengers on a journey through the stunning Kent countryside.
- Visit All Saints' Church – All Saints' Church is a Grade I listed building in Upnor and has a rich history. It dates back to the 11th century and is home to a range of unique features, including a 14th-century font and a fine collection of stained glass windows.
- Explore the Dickens Festival – The annual Dickens Festival in Rochester takes place in June and is a must-see for any fan of the author. It features a range of activities, including theatre performances, music, art and food stalls.
- Discover Upnor Beach – Upnor Beach is a small beach located on the northern shore of the River Medway in Kent. It is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing and fishing, and is also home to a range of historic sites.
- Enjoy a Day at the Races – The historic Rochester Racecourse is just a short drive away and hosts a range of horse racing events throughout the year. The racecourse also offers a range of other activities, including a bar, restaurant and picnic areas.
- Visit Gillingham Park – Gillingham Park is a large park located on the banks of the River Medway in Kent. It is home to a range of activities, including a boating lake, an adventure playground, a golf course, a miniature railway and a cafe.
- Enjoy a Show at the Woodville Halls – The Woodville Halls is a large theatre in Gravesend, just a short drive away from Upnor. It hosts a range of performances, including theatre, music, comedy and dance.
- Visit the Gothic Revival Mansion – Upnor Mansion is a 19th century Gothic Revival Mansion located just outside Upnor. It is open to the public and offers a range of interactive activities, including a guided tour of the house and gardens.
- Explore the Countryside – The Kent countryside is home to a range of stunning landscapes, including rolling hills and picturesque villages. There are a number of public footpaths and cycle routes in the area, allowing visitors to explore the area at their own pace.
- Visit the Historic Town of Rochester – Rochester is a historic market town located just a short drive away from Upnor. It is home to a range of attractions, including Rochester Castle, Rochester Cathedral and the Historic Dockyard.
- Take a Trip to the City of London – London is just a short train journey away and is home to a range of attractions, including Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London and the London Eye.
- Enjoy the Local Food Scene – Upnor and the surrounding area is home to a range of restaurants and cafes, offering a range of traditional and modern dishes. There are also a number of pubs in the area, serving a range of local ales.
There are many things to see and do near Upnor. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!